Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Time to start turning off the machine.

Some say it takes a fully loaded freight train a real long time to come to a complete stop. Think about it, the average freight train (90-120 cars) takes 18 football fields to come to a complete stop under emergency conditions. Under non-emergency conditions it takes a LONG TIME. Well that is how work and school is going now. We are still chugging along but slowly deaccelerating. Each week the throttle gets pulled back just a little bit.

This week quiet hours were extended to all but 1 hour per day. Yup 23 hour a day quiet hours... anyone want to guess where else in the world this system of 23 hour restraint takes place?

That's right!
Super-Max Prisons.

Only in my dorm I don't force you to stay in a tiny cell all day and eat food loafs. And you can always go outside for some rec time and take as many showers as you want.

Sounds like you're living the dream!


One other thing I do not think my students truly appreciate is a clean room. Many of them (despite my urgings) are waiting until the last day possible to clean their rooms.

Can it be done? Yes, Yes it can.
Can it be done in under an hour? Not to my standards!

If I check them out and the room is randomly selected to be checked for cleanliness AND part of it that I signed off on is dirty, guess who gets to go clean it? That's right! Swifty gets to put on the gloves and trade his gun for a bottle of 409 or Windex.

I have three more exams before I am done with school for my Junior year of college.
Thursday:
Honors Environmental Science
Correctional Systems

Friday:
Criminal Law

Lots of reading to do for Criminal Law, a little bit of reviewing for environmental science, and just looking at the index for correctional systems.

Sounds easy enough!


The super amazing girlfriend is already out of school for the semester, and I am really jealous because I wish I were back home with her instead of here cleaning and working on exams. But next week will be exciting because the two of us are going to take a road trip to Kansas for the week to visit my Grandparents. (Hmmmm, I think they need a blog name....) They will be referred to as the World Champion Grandparents. I am visiting my world champion grandparents in Kansas and cannot wait to get up there.

*Side note: As a little kid my world champion grandparents would always introduce us grandkids as world champion grandson or granddaughter. As a kid I always thought this was pretty cool to be thought of like that. Now that I am a criminal justice major I learn about this awesome thing called labeling theory. Basically it states that if you call someone something or label them as such eventually their attitudes and actions will work to fit that label. So I don't know if I am who I am because my grandparents said I was a world champion but I am sure it didn't hurt. I will have to remember that when/if I am a parent/grandparent/great-grandparent.... Mostly the first one.

Well that is all for tonight folks, remember May is Click it or Ticket Month. More officers are on the road looking for that magic seat belt. Have a great day!

-Swifty

1 comment:

  1. I'm gonna put star stickers and glitter on my seatbelt to make sure the policemen know it's magic ;)

    ReplyDelete