Monday, October 14, 2013

Are in-service days a day off?

When I was in school I never felt bad that teachers had to work on days like Columbus day. I figured school was pretty easy without all the kids around, so why feel sorry for them?

Now that I am a teacher I have a slightly different opinion. Let me share it with you.

8:30 am. I arrived at school to attend a PSAT proctor meeting. Lucky me, I get to proctor the PSAT test on Wednesday. I teach on Wednesday. I have no idea where my normal kids will go. I guess those 22 freshmen I have at 8:15 am will just find something to do.

9:00 am I went to the school wide meeting about home language surveys and other stuff for the Spanish kids. I learned how to fill out forms I will never use and what to do on certain committees I will never serve on.

10:00 am, the meeting begins to discuss 'Heat Maps' or some other way of telling what STAAR test objectives the kids can't do. I don't do STAAR or EOC testing so this is another class I just sit in the back and listen to.

11:00 am, finally I go to my office where on the main line we have a voicemail from a parent who is upset and wants to meet. Decide to go check on AG Barn to make sure nothing is horribly wrong before talking to parent and getting broadsided by something that happened over the weekend. I get to the barn and find one pen flooded by water. Could tell upset parent to fix it themselves, but another teacher and I tuck the jeans in the boots and get all muddy and smell like hogs fixing the pen.

12:00 pm. The one great thing about in-service day is getting to actually sit down and eat. Fajita Enchiladas for lunch made the day that much better.

1:00 pm Got back to school and set up rat traps to kill the rats that chewed through our acetylene torch hoses.

2:00pm In another meeting where I am told I will spend 2 days with my kids to help them fill out paperwork to pick a CTE career path in high school.

4:00pm Finally I get to sit in my office and work on my stuff.

5:00pm Back out at the AG barn to update a pen assignment chart. While I am there a student tells me a pig has its head stuck in a fence. I go over to help it and it wont budge. I turn to go get soap to try to free it and hit my face hard on a metal pipe. Face is bleeding and jaw is in a lot of pain so I awkwardly ask the student to see if I cracked any teeth or where the blood was coming from. Blood was from face not mouth which was good. Finally found a hacksaw to cut part of the bull panel fence. As soon as I put the hacksaw to the fence the pig did some weird twist and gets unstuck.

6:00pm Went to the grocery store to buy food for the week, found someones wallet in my cart and drove it to their house after buying food.

7:00pm Home! Time to eat, pull out the computer, and start filling out paperwork.....


I think I will be looking forward to when the students come back and people just let me teach.
:)

Oh the joys of an AG teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment